Musicians are the most flexible and creative professionals. Yes, music happens in crowded theatres and festivals, but music also happens in headphones, on social media, on live streams, in music videos, on laptops and phones, outside, inside...everywhere! Never in history have there been more ways to create and showcase music, and during a time when most of us can’t get together in the ways we normally would, AMP’s Spring program paves the way for the Modern Musician.
Join AMP’s Modern Musician virtual rock band program to work in a small band as you learn how to record, perform, and distribute your music in formats that can reach thousands of people. Work in a small band with a coach to cover your favorite songs, learn how to record them in high-quality sound with the tools you already have, create music videos, and learn the tools and skills you need to succeed as a musician — now and moving forward.
Young musicians between 10-18 years old with any amount of recording experience are welcome! This 10 week session that includes two remote after-school sessions per week, culminating in original recordings and music videos shown publicly during AMP's live-streamed virtual showcase — The AMPy's.
Spring 2020 - Program Details:
(2) Weekly Meetings for 10 weeks (over Zoom)
- All-Program Meetings (1hr)
- Remote Recording Sessions (2hr)
- Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced tracks offered
Session Dates: January 26 — April 23, 2021
Tuition — $325
- All AMP Tuition is offered at a discounted price, thanks to our community sponsors
- Tuition Assistance available on top of that
- Apply for Tuition Assistance
- By the end of session, you will create:
- Collaborative Band Recordings
- Solo Recordings
- Music videos for your band/solo songs
- Understand and create with the tools available to modern musicians
- Basic/intermediate audio engineering + recording
- Basic/intermediate mixing tools and techniques
- Using MIDI instruments and interfaces
- Basic/intermediate Video Editing
- Band management and branding
- How to release your music
Equipment you need
- Device to connect to Zoom meetings (computer/laptop highly recommended)
- Second device to access software during meetings
- All software is provided by AMP
- AMP can loan out recording equipment for this session
- We can only loan out instruments, mics, and interfaces; not mobile devices or laptops
Fill out the form below
Send in your audition by Wed, Jan 20 at 11:59pm
1 audio recording
Can be a "produced" track
Does not have to be professional / produced! Can be a Voice Memo
1 video of a performance
The AMPy's: A Live-streamed Virtual Showcase
Culmination of AMP's Fall 2020 Modern Musician program
Check out highlights from a similar program AMP offered for our Summer Camp 2020!
Who Teaches This Program?
Will Sturgeon is the Executive Director of the AMP program. He's won Best Producer 2018 & 2019 from CV Weekly with his work at The Sturdio, and performed with his band brightener and as a member of The Flusters on the Coachella stage twice in 2016.
As a graduate of USC's Popular Music Performance program and BU's Masters in Music Education, Will has experience in not only being a Modern Musician, but in teaching this new type of contemporary music education. The Modern Musician program is a curriculum designed for AMP students in the Coachella Valley. But he's not teaching it alone!
Rob Peterson and Abie Perkins, AMP Band Coaches and industry professionals, are teaching and serving as Recording Coaches this session.